Tuesday, November 19, 2013

New Covergirl Flamed Out Mascara Review

The Rundown:

"Make a bold statement with winged lashes that curve up and out. The unique wire brush coats your lashes for an instant volume boost.
-Covergirl

I believe this mascara is part of Covergirls "Flamed Out" series which is in their Capitol collection - a new line of products that are inspired by the new movie in the Hunger Games trilogies: Catching Fire. I also picked up a shadow stick from this collection that I will be reviewing later this week.

Photo courtesy covergirl.com


The Reality:

Packaging 3/5 stars

The packaging is a little odd. The tube is much shorter and rounder than any other mascara I have used. I understand the concept of "flamed out" but the 'flames' on the tube look like tiger stripes to me; it's fun looking but also a bit garish. However, where the packaging really fell short for me was the wand. It has the odd hourglass shape which makes your lashes clump together at the ends forming a triangle of some sort (the lashes are separated at the roots, but come together to make a point at the tips) which just looks really odd. The more I tried to get the tips of my lashes separated from the others, the more they clumped together. The brush tends to pull all your lashes towards the middle of the wand. I also didn't like how the mascara would glob and build up on the bottom and top sections of the wand.


Staying-Power 4/5 stars

My lashes stayed put pretty well throughout the day. The curl drooped a little but it wasn't too bad. I just wish my lashes were more separated from the wand when I applied it that morning. Also, the formula is more of a thicker sludge consistency.

Price 5/5 stars

As far as drugstore mascaras go, this one hits at about an average cost of $6-$7.

Lives up to its claims 3/5 stars

Due to the thicker sludge consistency of the mascara it does coat your lashes well however I can't get past how much I detest the brush. I'm not entirely sure what Covergirl meant by "winged lashes" but my lashes do stick together at the tips creating a triangle/maybe winged effect.

OVERALL 3/5 stars

I am not the biggest fan. I will continue to play with it and test different ways of using it, and will post an update if my opinion changes. However I don't think it will. I really don't like the brush because it just makes my lashes look odd...who wants lash triangles framing their eyes? I have seen that Covergirl recently launched a Flamed Up Mega Curl mascara which features a different brush that might work better. All I can say is that I do not enjoy this hourglass wand and would not recommend this mascara.

xoxo Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment